Monday, January 3, 2011

My Not-so-Formal Three-Minute Writing Resume

In the beginning . . .

I started in the writing field before I hit kindergarden. I started with creating books out of construction paper and glue. I would draw pictures and scribble marks that in my young eyes were actually words. I would then glue the pages together to bind the book. In grade school I started my first book . . . a romance . . . and a terrible one at that! In junior high I started on my second book about a teenage girl looking for love. That book went nowhere. I dabbled in song writing, too. When I hit high school I was sending queries to magazines with the hopes of publishing my first article. I had a story accepted by Highlights for Children on the condition I made a few revisions. I was ecstatic! I was on my way to becoming a writer and I hadn’t even graduated high school yet!

Shortly after graduation I started as a contributor for a local newspaper. My job was to write articles that covered school activities and events. It wasn’t long before I had established relationships with many schools in the area and soon I was being called by principles and teachers with article ideas. It was a great time, but it didn’t last long. The editor committed suicide and the paper folded, as did my job. I was too young to take what I had learned and utilize the relationships I had started to begin a paper of my own. The idea never struck me, but . . .

I purchased a book about self-publishing and it didn’t take me long to create a book, obtain an ISBN number and start a marketing campaign. I was young and knew enough to get by, but not actually succeed . . .

In the middle . . .


In my late 20’s I began working for a rape crisis center. I created brochures and newsletters. I also assisted with grant writing and wrote letters requesting donations; from money to materials. One of my greatest accomplishments for the organization was creating a training manual for volunteers. I was responsible for doing the research, writing, and formatting the information in an easy to follow guide.

Recently . . .

I have a Bachelor’s degree in English, a few publishing credentials, a Blog and a sense of humor.

While attending college I was part of the English Club and editor for the campus literary publication for three semesters. I worked as a writing tutor and assistant to the coordinator of the Service-Learning Program. For the Program I created a brochure and two newsletters.

After graduating in May, 2010 I had an idea I wanted to be a freelance writer. I hesitated on embarking on a freelance journey. Instead I opted for the traditional route: working for someone else. I sent out at least a hundred resumes and received no bites. I explored the Internet for writing jobs and stumbled on an ad seeking writers. I applied to be a writer and was approved!

Currently . . .

I offer copywriting, web content writing, proofreading and editing services.

Obviously, I have left out a few items. I just wanted to provide an idea of my merits and a sense of where I have been.

If I had to give an objective to what I want, or a reason behind my madness, I would have to say that I have a desire to communicate with words and be the mouth for those who cannot speak, or cannot speak well. For me, writing is everything. It has always been with me and it has never let go. I will take what I have learned and use it to the full extent.

If you would like to get an idea of what I have written I have included a few links to my publications . . .

Service-Learning Program Brochure

Exceptional Service + Exceptional People = PAL Mission

Benefits of Joining Campus Clubs and Organizations

Photo provided by Jodi Hughey. Copyright 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment